Must be a U.S. Citizen
AS or AA degree from an accredited college or university in a related engineering/scientific field.
- ALLOWABLE SUBSTITUTION: A High School diploma or GED credential and two (2) years of recent and relevant technical experience related to the labor category “Description” may be substituted for an AS or AA degree. These two (2) years of experience are in addition to the required minimum of six (6) years to meet the “Experience” requirements below, therefore, requiring a total of eight (8) years of experience.
At least six (6) years of recent and relevant experience in a position related to the labor category “Description”. Four (4) years of experience, to include: installation of such equipment. One (1) year of experience, to include: design, preparation and modification of engineering documents and drawings is required. Experience may be concurrent.
This technician independently plans and accomplishes complete projects or studies of broad scope and complexity, or serves as an expert in a narrow aspect of a particular field of engineering, e.g., environmental factors affecting electronic engineering. Complexity of assignments typically requires considerable creativity and judgment to devise approaches to accomplish work, resolve design and operational problems and make decisions in situations where standard engineering methods, procedures and techniques may not be applicable. Supervisor or professional engineer provides advice on unusual or controversial problems or policy matters. Completed work is reviewed for compliance with overall project objectives. This worker may supervise or train and be assisted by lower-level technicians and performs, one or more of the following:
- Prepares designs and specifications for various complex equipment or systems (e.g., a heating system in an office building, or new electronic components such as solid-state devices for instrumentation equipment).
- Plans approach to solve design problems; conceives and recommends new design techniques; resolves design problems with contract personnel and assures compatibility of design with other parts of the system.
- Designs and coordinates test set-ups and experiments to prove or disprove the feasibility of preliminary design; uses untried and untested measurement techniques; and improves the performance of the equipment. May advise equipment users on redesign to solve unique operational deficiencies.
- Plans approach and conducts various experiments to develop equipment or systems characterized by difficult performance requirements because of conflicting attributes such as versatility, size and ease of operation; unusual combination of techniques or components. Arranges for fabrication of pilot models and determines test procedures and design of special test equipment.