*Position will require regular onsite work at Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Patuxent River, Maryland*
Must be U.S. Citizen
Position requires a MS or MA degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related scientific discipline. ALLOWABLE SUBSTITUTION: A BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related scientific discipline and an additional four (4) years of recent and relevant experience may be substituted for a MS or MA degree. These four (4) years of experience are in addition to the required minimum of ten (10) years to meet the “Experience” requirements below, therefore, requiring a total of fourteen (14) years of experience.
At least ten (10) years of recent and relevant experience in an engineering position, three (3) of which must be directly related to naval systems. Demonstrated knowledge in area of engineering expertise is required.
Position is a Systems Engineer (Next Gen Mission Planning Systems Engineer) in the PMA-281 Strike Planning and Execution Systems, Next Generation Naval Mission Planning System (NGNMPS) program. NGNMPS is innovative Rapid Prototype Agile software acquisition program that will field in 2024 and then transition to a Program of Record. The program is focused on the replacement of legacy mission planning software and system architectures to achieve real-time collaboration, automation, and enhanced mission capabilities for Navy & Marine Corps aircrew. The program is applying innovative software technologies, large scale Agile, and SecDevOps to revolutionize mission planning solutions and the deployment of those solutions to operational environments. The program has high visibility and involves significant collaboration with the USAF and JPO. be part of a dynamic and diverse team that will bring modern digital technologies to the planning, execution, and post-mission analysis aviation domains.
The work would entail the following:
- Apply systems engineering processes to the analysis, development, testing, and deployment of NGNMPS software.
- Analyze, document, and review NGNMPS emerging requirements.
- Analyze the impact of changes to NGNMPS system requirements and interfaces.
- Participate in vendor technical interchange meetings and review vendor technical recommendations.
- Lead working groups to address engineering and technical challenges that require analysis of alternatives.
- Engage with users to collect input and feedback to improve and enhance NGNMPS.
- Coordinate with test and evaluation activities for assessment of NGNMPS software.
- Contribute to, and provide peer review for, technical White Papers.
- Contribute to MBSE descriptions of the system, and review vendor produced MBSE models.
- Conduct technical Risk Management and tracking.
- Participate on change management and configuration management processes and review boards.
- Provide technical input and review to project plans, project schedules, project roadmaps.
- Author reports, briefs, provide progress reviews, and brief NAVAIR Leadership on status and technical analysis.
- Collaborate with leadership, other engineers, vendors, and software project leads in an Agile software development process to evolve user requirements into solutions that enhance the CPS capabilities.
- Participate in Agile software development processes including backlog grooming, backlog prioritization, sprint reviews, program increment reviews, and capability evaluation.
- Assist with vendor tasking, guidance, & oversight in the development of technical SOWs, participation with TIMs, PMRs, and review of CDRLs.
- Support project planning and technical cost estimates.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively work and collaborate with a team, both internally and with industry partners that are remotely located. Independently motivated and able to produce products and react quickly to a rapid changing, continuously evolving environment. Be experienced with NAVAIR/NAWCAD processes and policy pertaining to things such as Airworthiness, Systems Integration, Testing, Software Engineering,